Re: Charlie Winters

Richard Hendrickson

On Feb 25, 2006, at 11:16 AM, Chet French wrote:

I just received an email stating that Charlie Winters died in a
hospital Friday morning.  No other details.  Charlie was a switchman
on
the Wabash at North Kansas City for years and photographed freight
cars
during the 1940's and 1950's.
That's sad news, though Charlie lived to a ripe old age before
answering the call to the great freight yard in the sky. Most (if not
all) of his freight car photos were from negs shot by the late George
Sisk, who was the Kansas City freight agent for the Chicago, South
Shore and South Bend, and who sometimes built O scale freight car
models for his best customers. Charlie once told me that he and the
other KC area railfans/photographers tended to be impatient when George
would stop to shoot freight cars, as the rest of them were always in a
hurry to get to the roundhouse, but that in later years prints of
Sisk's freight car photos sold in much larger numbers than any of
Charlie's own locomotive shots.

Charlie was generous about sharing prints from the many negs in his
collection and in my dealings with him he was always a true gentleman.
And as one of the earliest photo collectors (along with Will Whittaker,
who also died recently) to make a substantial body of freight car
photos readily available, he played a major role in the development of
serious freight car research and modeling, so he has left a substantial
legacy.

Richard Hendrickson