Re: PFE on Wabash

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Lee Thwaits" <lthwaits@...> wrote:

In the early sixties I was involved in orchard management near
Marysville, CA. There was always a Wabash salesman around wining &
dining our packing house managers and as as a result most of the fruit
went to New York auction
==============

I'd be very careful about saying "most" or "lion's share", etc.
Especially when quoting salesmen. If you believed all of them you
might have to believe that the total traffic was double or triple what
was actually handled. It only takes two railroad salesmen
saying "most" to exceed the actual traffic.

Is there any evidence that the highest flow of perishables to New York
was not through the Chicago and St. Louis gateways ? A pretty large
portion of that traffic was blocked at Roseville for North Platte and I
suspect that the majority at North Platte was blocked for Chicago
connections.