hopper doors

Malcolm Laughlin <mlaughlinnyc@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Malcolm Laughlin" <mlaughlinnyc@...>
wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "buchwaldfam" <duff@> wrote:

Thanks Jeff!
That would work well with the breweries that I want to
build. Even for grain, the doors on a coal hopper seem like they'd
be a little "loose". Do you know if they put some sort of seal in
the hopper before loading the car?
A lot of them were pretty tight. On the NYC we used a lot of them
for iron ore, but had a high reject rate before being sent to mines for
leaky doors. If they would hold iron ore, no problem with many
grains.

Something else to think about. If they couldn't hold grain, how would
you expect them to hold the finer grades of coal. It wasn't all
lumps. Some of it is more like black dirt.