From: "Dave Nelson" <muskoka@...>
Subject: RE: Boxcar Utilization - Definitions
ljack70117@... wrote:
I have a question. Where did the ORER get the information the
printed?

From each railroad.
======================

Although Dave's response is right, I'd like nto expand on it a
bit.

The ORER was (and still is) a tariff. It was published on
behalf of all of the railroads and was referenced in most other
railroad tariffs. It was the official reference for any tariff item
that referenced car type, dimensions, capacity, car number, etc.

The railroads were motivated to keep it up to date for cars
added because for tariff purposes a car did not exist if it wasn't
in the RER. Cars in the RER did not necessarily exist. When a
railroad got new cars, it would publish the whole series even if it
might be some months before all were delivered. Similarly, there
was no particular reason for a railroad to rush to delete cars from
the register after they were taken out of service, except for the
cost of the space that they paid for in the RER. So if a railroad
had an entry for a hundred cars and all but a few were scrapped,
there was no benefit from updating the RER until all were gone and
the line for that series could be deleted.

Malcolm Laughlin, Editor 617-489-4383
New England Rail Shipper Directories
19 Holden Road, Belmont, MA 02478