Re: ORER

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Gene Green wrote:
I found it interesting that in at least one instance a series of new
cars was delivered to the M&StL not in numerical order. I would have
expected the cars to be numbered at the factory beginning with the
lowest number on the first car completed and so on. The delivery
notes filed in the AFE show the delivery of a few cars per day and
gives the date and time the cars arrived on M&StL property, the
delivering road and the car numbers.
Having looked at decades of SP car production records, I would say this is more common than not. Long runs within an order will be numbered in chronological sequence, but other groups of cars, produced later, may have earlier number series. It is rare in what I've seen for an entire order to be numbered exactly chronologically from start to finish.

Publishers of books on railroad history