Re: "Standards" and AAR voting procedures

Charlie Vlk

Richard-
I know the Q didn't create any freight car designs that it built but they were so active
in the industry that they may have influenced truck design, draft gear, etc..
You are right about them being ....er.. conservative. This is a long and proud history!
I wish I had made copies, but once I was at the Newberry looking for something else
and I came across a correspondence file regarding an experimental steel tube boxcar
that the Q management leased and later purchased...very much over the objections of
their Master Mechanic, who promoted the superiority of Oak as the proper material for
freight cars!!! Besides the literary style of the prose of business communications of the
19th century, the problems of introducing new technology into a system make fascinating
reading!!!
Charlie Vlk