Re: General covered hopper questions

Michael Aufderheide

Tim Gilbert wrote:
For a covered
hopper in cement service, that range was limited because the cost of
transportation, and thus, total cost of the product to the consumer,
escalated the further away from their point of origin - cement being a
low value commodity with widespread cement plants nation wide.

Tim and all:

The effect this can have on a modeled fleet is important. For example
in the 1948 Monon conductor's logs I was surprised at two predominant
home road car types: covered hoppers and side-dump gons. After
reading this thread, it occurs to me that these cars were likely in
captive service. According to the logs and despite their small
numbers, I should see more of them on my layout than Monon boxcars!
(in 1948 there were only 30 covered hoppers and 20 side dump cars vs.
1500 or so boxcars)

I wonder if this is the case on other roads; the boxcars being
swallowed up in the national pool and more specialized cars staying
close to home in captive service?

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide