Re: General covered hopper questions

al_brown03

Several threads lately have come to related conclusions, namely that
the movements of specialized cars were much more predictable than
those of general-service boxcars. Whether the specialized cars would
therefore *stay close to home*, though, depends on their service.
Covered hoppers hauling cement, probably yes, for the reasons stated
in this thread. ACL and SAL phosphate hoppers, yes, because most of
the traffic was from mines in interior Florida to Florida ports.
Auto parts cars, by contrast, might move highly predictably but from
Detroit to assembly plants across the country, e.g. on the West
Coast.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Aufderheide" <mononinmonon@...>
wrote:

Tim Gilbert wrote:
For a covered
hopper in cement service, that range was limited because the
cost of
transportation, and thus, total cost of the product to the
consumer,
escalated the further away from their point of origin - cement
being a
low value commodity with widespread cement plants nation wide.

Tim and all:

The effect this can have on a modeled fleet is important. For
example
in the 1948 Monon conductor's logs I was surprised at two
predominant
home road car types: covered hoppers and side-dump gons. After
reading this thread, it occurs to me that these cars were likely in
captive service. According to the logs and despite their small
numbers, I should see more of them on my layout than Monon
boxcars!
(in 1948 there were only 30 covered hoppers and 20 side dump cars
vs.
1500 or so boxcars)

I wonder if this is the case on other roads; the boxcars being
swallowed up in the national pool and more specialized cars staying
close to home in captive service?

Regards,

Mike Aufderheide