Re: PRR, standards, etc

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
Coal generates far more ton-miles than any other type of
traffic, and always has. That's what I meant.
As I presume you realize, ton-miles ain't dollars. When PFE was providing the largest single revenue stream to SP and UP in the 1950s, far above any other traffic category, it sure wasn't because of larger ton-miles.

It generates
more revenue in the eastern U.S. than intermodal does,
but just barely.
Read the new Trains magazine. Of course, not everyone can read a magazine published decades into the future <g>.

Publishers of books on railroad history