Re: NdeM.

Rod Miller

If you would like some photos of 40' Mexican box cars email me your
address off line and I will email you some photos. James Hickey

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Arnold" <mrdata1968@...> wrote:

Sirs,

I know that the NdeM did travel on de U.S. tracks (U.P. perhaps?).
Did the NdeM had their own style boxcars?
If so, are there 1:87 models of that type to get?

Arnold van Heyst
Netherlands.
Hi James,

I have an O scale Walthers decal set 64-24 for an NdeM box car.

According the the painting and lettering diagram in the set, the car
body is orange with an approx. 2 foot wide red stripe just above the
middle of the car. In the stripe above the reporting marks in silver
is

FERROCARRILLES
NACIONALES
DE MEXICO

and in the stripe on the right side of the door are large words in
silver CARRO TIENDA. As far as I could find out that means holding
car.

There is a panel in the decal set that says

ASIGNADO EXCLUSIVAMENTE A
CERVECERIA MOCTEZUMA S.A.
PARA TRAFICO ENTRE
ORIZABA Y MEXICO

which my high school spanish translates into "Assigned exclusively to
the brewery Moctezuma S.A. for traffic between Orizaba and [the rest
of] Mexico". I have been told that Orizaba is noted for its breweries.

The three road numbers in the set are 40762, 62204, and 76873.
According to my 1953 Railway Equipment Register, the middle number was
assigned to a 40 foot 10 foot IH box car; the other two numbers don't
appear in the register.

All the dimensional data is metric. The inside height is 318cm which is
10 feet six inches. The inside length is 1234 which is 40 feet six
inches. The capacity is given as 45360 KGS which is 50 tons. The Nuevo
date is 7/61, which seems a bit new for what dimensionally is a car I
associate with early 50s design, and which also may put this topic
outside the time bounds of this list.

Any photos or information you or other list members can be provided
would be greatly appreciated. If the date is correct that scheme would
be too new for my era, so this set may join my Navy Gas car on the
auction block. However, I still would like to know more about the car
and its use.

Thanks

Rod