Re: DL&W 40' 1937 AAR boxcars 51400-51749

al_brown03

There's a photo of DL&w 51496, in which the trucks show up a little
better, in Model Railroading Sept/Oct 1984, p 12. (The article is
entitled "Athearn 40-foot Box Car Prototypes", which 22 years later
gave me a chuckle.) The trucks are "Bettendorfs" of fairly generic
appearance, i.e. not Dalmans or National B-1s. I'm not a good enough
truck scholar to tell more specifically than that. I have RP CYC 4 &
have been looking at Richard Hendrickson's article, but there are
enough combinations of equipment in trucks of this type that I haven't
figured out what the spotting features are.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Brian J Carlson" <brian@...> wrote:

I am building a model of one of the above cars. The only photo I
have is a
small one from an Ed Hawkins article in the July 1991 RMJ. I was
wondering
what trucks were installed under this series?

Brian J Carlson P.E.
Cheektowaga NY