From: "Garth G. Groff" <ggg9y@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Monday, 21 January, 2002 15:47
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Quesions about a depressed center flat
car

: Norm,
:
: There should be two sets of AB brakes on this car, one on
each end. The rodding couldn't be bent around
: the depressed part of the frame. This means there should
also be two brake stands. It is possible that
: some cars of this type had truck-mounted brake cylinders
due to the tight space around the bolsters, but
: I can't swear to that.
:
: At least Athearn got this part right on their 4-truck flat
car. It has brake wheels at each end.
:
: I don't know about TPRX, but if this is a real reporting
mark, it will be in the ORER. The articles in
: the Kalmbach book largely date from the early 1950s, so
that is the approximate era to check.
:
: Kind regards,
:
:
: Garth G. Groff
:
:
: Norm Dresner wrote:
: >
: > As an excuse for trying out my new bandsaw, I started
scratchbuilding
: > the depressed center flat car which is described in an
ancient
: > Kalmbach book entitled "Easy-to-Build Model Railroad
Freight Cars" and
: > sub-titled "24 Dollar Car Projects from the pages of
Model
: > Railroader". (This book is (C) 1971, a mere 30 years
old as I'm sure
: > I bought it soon after it hit the market).
: >
: > Anyway, there's what purports to be a prototype "sketch"
(I'd hate to
: > call it a drawing) with the markings "TPRX" giving it's
capacities as
: > CAPY 190000
: > LdLmt. 195800
: > Lt. Wt 55200
: > new 12-47
: >
: > and showing a car with two two-axle trucks.
: >
: > I have two questions:
: > 1. What might have been the prototype for this
model, if any?
: > 2. Where on a depressed-center flat car is the brake
gear located?
: >
: > I'd appreciate any information on this car -- or
anything like it.
: >
: >
: > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
: >
: >
: >
: > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
:
: Access Your PC from Anywhere
: It's Easy. It's Fun. - Free Download.