Re: Covered hopper bulk loads

buchwaldfam <duff@...>

Thanks for the info everyone!

I take it that the screw conveyor could be underground? There is
nothing in the photo which would indicate an above ground conveyor
from trackside to the mixer.
Thanks!
Phil Buchwald

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Dziedzic" <jerdz@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Gene Green" <bierglaeser@> wrote:

Art,
When I was a kid my Dad hauled concrete culverts out of Iowa
Concrete
Products in Hampton, Iowa. Some Sundays I'd help him put in a
rebuilt engine in one of the lift trucks. Their spur either was
or
was immediately adjacent to the connection between the M&StL and
the
CGW on the north edge of Hampton. Their "silo" for storing
concrete
was the covered hopper car.

Gene Green
I'm much more comfortable with the cement mill side of the
business
than ready mix. But I agree with Gene. The silos seen in many
ready
mix plants stored aggregate (typically, gravel) and sand. The
cement
was unloaded through the bottom outlet gates of the car, usually
discharging into a bin below the track (between the gauge). A
screw
conveyor would be sufficient to move the cement from the bin to
the
mixer to be blended with other ingredients: for concrete,
aggregate and
sand; for "cement", as to lay up brick or concrete block, with
sand.

Schuyler, if you have your ears on, don't be bashful about
correcting
this info.

Jerry Dziedzic
Pattenburg, NJ