Re: wood vs styrene (was a very short intro)

Tony Thompson

Tim Gilbert wrote:
There had to be some accommodation for draining rain water from a flat
car's deck. If the deck was flat with no crown, the planks would have
popped as there was no room for the planks to expand when wet. Small
gaps between hardwood planks would have sufficed to drain the water.
Sounds good, Tim, but 'tain't so. Many flat car drawings show interlocking or T&G planking; and every photo I've ever seen sure looks like it is laid real tight. I've never seen any crown, either. Anyway, most expansion from damp is along the grain, and that's across the deck width, not along the deck from board to board.

Publishers of books on railroad history