Re: Boxcar anatomy question

Richard Townsend

Hmm. The March/April 1990 Prototype Modeler had a diagram that called out 223 different items on a 50-ton AAR standard 40-foot boxcar. I'm not completely sure of what item I think you are referring to, but it might be the sill step bracket, which is the piece below the side ladder (and below the level of the side sill) to which the sill step (sometimes called the stirrup step)is attached. Is that the piece you are referring to?

--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

"leakinmywaders" <leakinmywaders@yahoo.com> wrote:

What's the proper term for the four skirting pieces that extend from
the corner posts downward to the sometimes just below the level of the
side sills on many steel boxcars? �I've been calling them "corner post
skirts" because I've not seen them identified in any of the usual
sources, but it's been nagging me because I need to describe the part
in a modeling wrtite-up I'm working on. �Also, can any one give me a
description of their function? �Whatever it is, it must be optional,
because I find myself spending a considerable amount of modeling time
adding them to some PS-1 boxcars and taking them off some AAR-type
boxcars to match various prototypes.

Note, it seems this is one visible detail even Kadee overlooks on
certain of its PS-1 boxcar models.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT