Byron Rose vents and manages to get most the details wrong (was Re: depressed center flat car)

mbcarson2002

Byron,

I suggest you owe Norm Dresner and the list an
apology for your intemperate remarks.

Although Model Railroader has had articles advancing the
level of modelmaking, they have also been known to publish
plans with bogus railroad heralds on locomotives. The
article about the depressed center flatcar was published in
February 1955 issue. The original plans for the TPRX flat
car, drawn by J. Geissel, was published in the November 1952
issue on page 60. The plans in the 1955 scratchbuilding
article didn't include the entire plan from the 1952 issue,
nor did the article reference the earlier plan.

The November 1952 drawing is a single page plan, with what
appears to be builders photo of TPRX 1. The paragraph
accompanying the drawing discusses why the depressed center
car flat car was developed and possible methods & materials
for building a model.

Did the 1955 article authors go out and measure the car
being modeled ?? I think not !!

Was (and is) the Model Railroader the gold standard for a
modeling magazine ?? I think not !!

Again, I suggest you owe Norm Dresner and the list an
apology!

Regards,

Mike Carson