Re: Alternate Stock Car Loads - was Another question from the new...

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 3/22/2006 1:03:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
tgilbert@... writes:

Mike Aufderheide wrote:

Tim,

Something else to keep in mind with stockcars is that they were often
used for things other than stock "off season" I've seen everything
from railroad ties to watermelons listed. I use this as justification
for running more of them on my layout than the stock traffic warrants.
You know...'cus they're cool!
Mike,

You can add lumber & pulpwood to your list of out of season commodities
loaded into stock cars. Indeed for many years, the MEC listed in the
ORER's a series of combination pulpwood rack/stock cars. And then you
have the shipment of live stock in boxcars particularly during the winter.

Tim Gilbert

Also, tomatoes. PRR hauled crates of tomatoes in stock cars. Instant
ventilated cars.

Rich Orr