Re: Linde Box Car

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Garth Groff <ggg9y@...> wrote:

Ed,

It is my understanding that as the gasses warmed and expanded during
transit, pressure valves allowed a small amount to escape. This went
out
through the roof vents, and maybe to a lesser extent through the
small
side vents. I don't think any of the Linde boxcars were
refrigerated, at
least I've never heard of it. The cars I examined certainly didn't
have
diesel engines like refrigerators.
Then maybe the vents are similar to pop valves that open when the
pressure inside reaches a certain level. I don't think shippers want a
permanently open vent on top of a box car since rain can blow in.

Ed