Re: What is this tank car for?

Richard Hendrickson

On Mar 27, 2006, at 4:00 AM, al_brown03 wrote:

A check of pictures in Kaminski's tank car book suggests that in the
late steam era the "CAPY" under the reporting marks normally was
quoted in pounds, the gallonage being stencilled on the ends. Before
World War I stencilling was less standardized; I *think* the change
was driven by regulation.
Not true, Al. All the way back to before WW I, MCB rules required the nominal capacity in pounds to be stenciled on tank cars, though it was applied to the center sills, not the tank (nominal capacity was almost always a function of truck journal size). The ARA stenciling regulations adopted in 1925 called for the nominal capacity and light weight to be stenciled on the tank above the left hand bolster, and (with minor variations) those rules remained in effect through the 1950s and beyond. Actual gallonage was, as you observe, stenciled on the tank ends.

Richard Hendrickson