Re: Seeking excepts from obscure equipment diagram books

SUVCWORR@...

In a message dated 3/27/2006 3:16:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jmischke@... writes:

B&O frequently made up for its available car shortfalls by buying,
begging, borrowing, commandeering and leasing cars from other
railroads.

By 1960, a financially troubled B&O had accumulated a whopping 42%
bad order freight car ratio.

Part of digging themselves out of this hole, with substantial C&O
help, B&O availed themselves of a variety of secondhand hoppers and
boxcars (all built between 1932 and 1952, complying with this list's
ground rules) by various arrangements involving sales, leases, and
sniveling.

So, over the years, B&O had secondhand cars from .....

Boxcars:

Ann Arbor (1956 built PS-1's, 6 and 8 foot doors)
Chesapeake and Ohio
Pennsylvania (X-43's)
Pittsburgh and Lake Erie
Rock Island
Reading (class HMa)

<snip>

Jim,

Weren't those ex PRR cars X43 and subclass cars which PRR ordered and then
leased from Chicago Car Leasing Company? The cars were on a short lease and
were returned to Chicago Car Leasing in the 1960's. CCL repainted then for
B&O and leased them to B&O. At least that is what I thought was the history of
the cars. While on the PRR these cars carried a white triangle below the
reporting marks. I remember reading this in some material Dick Schweiger found
when C&BT shops was doing research for the X43 and subclasses.

Rich Orr