Re: Replacement of National Type B trucks

leakinmywaders

Mark: I'm curious to see what comes up in response to this question.
But I can offer that the NP Ry had hundreds, possibly thousands of
boxcars and hoppers riding on National B-1 trucks right through the
1960s. Steel AAR-oid boxcars the NP rebuilt in the 1950s-1960s
retained (or possibly acquired) these trucks.
However, it appears cars running on National B-1s were not uprated
from 50 to 55 ton capacity the way many cars with ASF A-3 Ride Control
and certain other nominal 50-ton trucks were in the later 1960s (at
least on the NP).

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Heiden" <mark_heiden@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I was looking at pictures of GTW and CB&Q boxcars that were delivered
with National Type B trucks. In these pictures, dated 1964, the Type
B trucks had been replaced with more conventional trucks. Was there a
flaw in the Type B trucks that caused them to be replaced? Would
these trucks still have been found under cars in the late 1950s?