Re: Dominion's Fowler patent box cars

W.R.Dixon

Message: 17 Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 19:08:23 -0700
From: Rob Kirkham <rdkirkham@shaw.ca>
Subject:
I'm interested in your comments on the Lifelike Dominion/Fowler boxcar model Bill. Have you found any documentation showing any CPR cars with equal spacing between the vertical members of the side bracing? If so, I'd love to see it and identify the car number series so I can letter my cars accordingly. To date, I am not aware of any CPR cars that match the side bracing on the Lifelike car.
The documentation consists of one photo that purports to show equal spacing. Other experts have interpreted this photo to show unequal spacing.

Bottom line - according to currently available documentation the car is still bogus. There was much discussion behind the scene as to why the car was done as it was. Some of the reference experts who withdrew from the project after they saw the direction it was going may be at the CARM convention next year.

Looking at the Proto 1000 Fowler Stock Car it looks like the criticism sunk in. They didn't try to produce a blended model again.

Westerfield still does the best kits of these car.
Andy W. Models has produced ready to run cars from his own masters but they are a bit out of the average modellers price range.
The Kaslo kit is good and models a slightly different variant of the car. Bending the half drop - half straight grab irons is a long process.

Bill Dixon