Re: Lumber loading

Manfred Lorenz

--- In STMFC@..., "Bob Chaparro" <thecitrusbelt@...> wrote:

This particular image was taken in 1936 at the Red River Lumber Co.
What is unusual (to me, at least), is the apparent use of boards and
canvas (?) to shield the area above the boxcar doors. It appears
these temporary structures were to protect the finished lumber from
the rain.

Maybe it's just that simple but can anyone shed more light on this?
My idea is that it is a way to protect the opening and thus the
interior of the boxcar from the rain. Otherwise it would get on the
loaded lumber inside and accumulate perhaps on the floor running under
the load into the corners and ... what a mess!

The way it looks only the unprotected boards in the open get wet, the
top boards only. These will dry by themselves.

Manfred