From: bobbypitts44 <bobbypitts44@...>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:53:32 -0000
To: <STMFC@...>
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Jones & Laughlin tank car

Excuse me, but because one person thinks the car is "dumb looking"
does that mean that I'm stupid because I happen to like the car
alot? Bobby Pitts

On Thu, April 20, 2006 9:28 pm, Schuyler Larrabee wrote:
On Behalf Of Thomas M. Olsen
The same goes for freight cars in
various scales: the more obscure the car, the more models of
it are built.
Witness the new version of the Jones & Laughlin tank car. WHY?
A dumb
looking car that never went
anywhere.
Schuyler,

On top of that, the version produced by F&C appears to mimic the
mistake
made by the previous NWSL brass J&L 20,000 gallon tanks... that
silver
with black lettering paint job. More than likely, it is
a "builder's
paint job" done to highlight the details. The few pictures of
operational
J&L tanks in this series appear to show black cars with white
lettering
<G>. A paint job that make a lot more sense for its lading of coal
tar.
I don't know if the model comes with those decals as well, but so
far I
have seen no evidence of it.

BTW, while uncommon outside of the J&L plants,these cars did
actually
traverse mainline rails, although probably only PRR and only very
specific
lines.

Regards
Bruce Smith