Re: Allergic to Epoxy, CA?

Rich Ramik <rjramik@...>


As having lived with various types of allergies all of my life (almost 60
years), including asthma, you and the other gentleman are indeed having an
allergic reaction. Not to get into all of the medical stuff regarding
allergens, histamines, etc, but this 'non allergic reaction' that has been
described is in fact an allergic reaction. You do not necessarily have to
give up the hobby, but rather take some common sense precautions. There are
certain adhesives that I use which prompt an immediate reaction. When I
work these adhesives I wear nitrile gloves and have not had any problem.

As for your idea about using a computer fan, I use a similar fan that was
designed for cooling racks of electrical equipment; a muffin fan. I can't
remember the specs of hand, but is a low noise, high velocity (cubic feet
per minute) tool. My spray booth/work table is constructed on an old card
table. On this I built a support frame of 1x2s and covered that with heavy
duty cardboard on the three sides and the top. On the top I mounted the fan
and attached a funnel shaped device. In reality, the device is a collector
pipe for downspouts/gutters. I tried using commercially available
'reducers' at one time. These could not handle the amount of air that was
being pushed through and resulted in air being 'bounced back' into the
booth; made for some poor paint jobs. Because of this I went back to the
collector. I learned from my son-in-law who is a plumber by trade that
there is another alternative for exhausting; it is called a power vent.
Good power vents can be had at a good plumbing supply house. I will
probably move to a power vent provided it matches the velocity specs of the
muffin fan I'm currently using. Hope this helps.


Rich Ramik


From: STMFC@... [mailto:STMFC@...] On Behalf Of
Schuyler Larrabee
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 7:52 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] RE: [STMFC] Allergic to Epoxy, CA?

I have suddenly developed what seems to be an acute
sensitivity to both CA and epoxy. Even with proper
ventilation and limited exposure, my head about explodes and
my eyes puff up from either adhesive in a matter of seconds.

This is seriously bad news for me, as the greatest part of
my modeling efforts up until now was in building resin kits.
With epoxy and CA out of the picture, I don't know how else
to stick 'em together. I'm skeptical that an aliphatic
(carpenter's) glue would work, but I could be mistaken.

Anyone else out there have a siimilar allergy? Any
thoughts on what to do? My large pile of unbuilt resin kits
would surely appreciate your response.

John Fitts
I've had some of this kind of trouble before. Mostly, I've just put up with
it, and minimized my
use of CA as much as possible. However, I want to get to assembling some of
the resin kits I have,
and what I thought I'd do is get a computer fan, and a length of dryer vent
hose, which I'd connect
to a board the right size to fit in the bottom of the double hung window
next to my bench. An
opening in the board is the right size for the fan. Probably some bug
screen in this somewhere.
When using CA on a regular basis, I'd put this gimmick together, plug it in,
and hope it helped.

All theory so far . . .

Of course those kits are steam freight car kits, are there any other kinds?




* Visit your group "STMFC <> " on
the web.

* To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
<> Terms of Service.


Join to automatically receive all group messages.