Std Guage with a Narrow Gauge component

Eric Hansmann <ehansmann@...>

Frederick Freitas wrote:

Since Mike has given us a narrow band width, I will offer the following:
The PRR shipped via "real flat car" the 2 foot ga. tie plant switcher &
cars some same in PA.; also shipped were cars built at Ft. Wayne for the
Waynesburg & Washington, 3 foot ga. in western PA,; and cars built for the
Ohio River & Western, 3 foot ga. in eastern OH. Both 3 foot ga. RR's
received power, freight, and passenger equipment in this way.

Fred mentions two narrow gauge railroads that were actually owned by the
Pennsylvania Railroad. The Waynesburg & Washington and the Ohio River &
Western were charismatic three-foot gauge lines serving rural areas for the
PRR. After 1920, all of their equipment was lettered for the PRR.

I also know the B&O bought the narrow gauge Pittsburgh & Western at the turn
of the 20th century. I don't think the B&O operated it for long before
widening the gauge. Same happened when they bought the narrow gauge West
Virginia & Pittsburgh.

Eric Hansmann
Morgantown, W. Va.