Files get dull

pullmanboss <tgmadden@...>

This is not news and will no doubt provide no revalations to most
STMFC members, but files are among the tools we tend to to ignore as
they age. I do more filing of resin castings than most people and keep
my files scrupulously clean. Even so, I recently replaced my laminate
file, my mainstay tool for filing the backs of castings to remove
flash, and the improvement in material removal rate was amazing. Yeah,
I know, files are cutting tools and eventually become dull and should
be replaced like saw, knife or razor blades. But they're like a car's
shock absorbers, degrading so slowly that you don't really notice how
bad they've gotten until they're replaced.

Tom Madden