Re: Files get dull

Andy Carlson

Go to a Home Depot or Ace Hardware. A laminate file looks like a Mill File, but it typically has straight sides, one edge is serrated, the other smooth (a useful feature). The cut of the "teeth" is specific for plastics, and works very well. One of my most favorite items, and I got my first one recommended by Bob Schlieker of Rail Model Journal fame.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

Mike Aufderheide <mononinmonon@...> wrote: Tom,

Tell me what your laminate file looks like. It sounds useful. A google search turned up filing cabinets!

Mike

pullmanboss wrote: This is not news and will no doubt provide no revalations to most
STMFC members, but files are among the tools we tend to to ignore as
they age. I do more filing of resin castings than most people and keep
my files scrupulously clean. Even so, I recently replaced my laminate
file, my mainstay tool for filing the backs of castings to remove
flash, and the improvement in material removal rate was amazing. Yeah,
I know, files are cutting tools and eventually become dull and should
be replaced like saw, knife or razor blades. But they're like a car's
shock absorbers, degrading so slowly that you don't really notice how
bad they've gotten until they're replaced.

Tom Madden

Train travel Freight car Canada train travel Train travel in italy North american