Re: Files get dull

James Eckman

10" Simonds all-purpose paddle handle file. You can find them on J&L Industrial Supply's web site, item number SII-18800J. The file is 10" long plus handle, 1" wide and 1/8" thick, uniform width & thickness for the entire cutting length. Fine cut on one side, coarse on the other, one blind edge as Andy said. The paddle handle makes it very easy to, well, ..handle. Much easier than a tang. Just over ten bucks each.

Tom Madden
I looked up the Simonds and it didn't seem like it was specific to plastics. Are the teeth really different from an ordinary mill file? I will look for one locally so I can see the teeth up close. How's J&Ls service? They have a great selection/catalog.

I worked in the machine shops for 40 years, We never tosed a file away ever. When they got to dull for steel, we used them on brass, then on aluminum, then on anything else. Larry Jackman
ljack70117@...
Take Larry's advice for how to file. The only exception is that I start out my files on brass instead of on steel. It's supposed to help the files last longer according to the clockmaking crowd, I always buy American or Swiss files and they last fairly long anyway since I rarely use them on cast iron or other nasty materials. I find the standard mill files OK for plastics and resins, but if I find something better, I certainly would start using it!

You ALWAYS put a file handle on it.
I have an assortment of file handles on hand, when I get a file with a tang I immediately stick a handle on. The paddle handle looks safe to use without one though...

Jim Eckman