Re: Syminton-Gould truck

al_brown03

As a Seaboard modeler I'd love for an enterprising manufacturer to
make some of these DALMAN-ANDREWS trucks. Three railroads at least?
That's a market! If Taylor trucks sell, these should. :-)

Last winter I made a pair of stand-in Dalman-Andrews trucks from old
metal Dalmans, by putting styrene strip across the bottom to
represent the journal retainer bars. They pass the "six-foot test"
but that's all I claim.

I wonder, does the term "Dalman-Andrews" have the makings of a
general truck nomenclature? Bolsters and springs in the first part of
the name, general frame shape at the end?

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

--- In STMFC@..., Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@...>
wrote:

On May 30, 2006, at 10:16 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:

I don't know why, Dennis, you would object to
calling them "Andrews," since that's what their manufacturers
called
them.
But I did indeed have this problem on the SooLineHistory list in a
discussion with the late John Campbell. He insisted the series if
cars
had DALMAN trucks (the H was a figment of my imagination) I was
sure
all these cars had "Andrews" trucks. He posted a photo, and sure
enough, the truck in question has separate bolt-on journals...
but it
also had the Dalman two level spring pack and bolster. Now that I
have
a better photo, i see the sideframe is an ASF 7795A, with the ASF
octagon casting mark, but says DALMAN across the top, with pattent
dates in 1924 and 1925 cast in. Nowhere does it say Andrews, yet
the
vast majority of model railroaders would immediately associate the
bolt on journal with the Andrews name, as I had.
Tunnel vision is always hazardous. The trucks Dennis is describing
were of Dalman-Andrews design and were used not only by the Soo
Line
but also by the Great Northern and the Seaboard Air Line (and
perhaps
some other RRs as well) in the mid-to-late 1920s. The side frames
were
Andrews because they had the typical Andrews bolted-on journal
boxes.
The bolsters and spring groups were Dalman two level. More than
one
truck manufacturer made them. So it is partly correct to call them
Andrews trucks and partly correct to call them Dalman trucks but a
full
description requires both terms.

Richard Hendrickson