Re: Wabash locals arriving at Forrest, IL on this date 51 years ago

Michael Aufderheide

Chet,

OK with me if you post them everyday. I love this stuff. Was the LCL car next to the caboose for merchandise handled in route by the crew? I've usually seen this done from the head end, but the rear would work as well assuming they could spot the car well enough. I wonder if this practice varied by railroad or by conductor?

CIL went to MON 6 months later in Jan '56. Conductor was probably just using convention, or maybe attending CIL board of directors meetings!

Mike Aufderheide

Chet French <cfrench@gallatinriver.net> wrote: Group,

Here is the consists of the two locals arriving at Forrest, IL on
June 1, 1955.

Landers (Chicago)/Forrest Local

Train No. 77 Eng 475 Condr ??? Arrived Forrest 320pm

WAB 2771 Caboose Forrest
WAB 46823 B Mdse (LCL) "
WAB 37121 H Mty Pontiac, IL
PRR 571033 B Corn St Louis, MO
NYC 108191 B " "
WAB 74227 B " "
LN 4911 B " E. St Louis, IL
IGN 17809 B " "
UP 191836 B " St Louis, MO
PRR 94376 B " "
WAB 86703 B " E. St Louis, IL
WM 27111 B " "
NP 15230 B " "
CGW 89406 B " "
NP 18407 B " "
MON 282 B " "

14 lds 2 mtys 1296 tons

Streator Branch Local

Train No. 73 Eng 467 Condr Truett Arrived Forrest 850pm

WAB 2700 Caboose Forrest
NJII 78114 B Mdse (LCL) "
SAL 8638 CH Mty Chicago
UTLX 92314 T " Council Bluffs, Iowa
WAB 36671 H Limestone Mansfield, IL
" 37403 H " "
" 37200 H " "
" 36697 H " "
" 37583 H " "
" 39047 H " "
SOU 14660 B Feed Brisbane, IL - EJE
WAB 30809 CH Mty KC, MO
WAB 30832 CH " "
UTLX 68209 T " Decatur, IL

8 lds 6 mtys 810 tons

The conductor on No. 77 spelled out MONON for the initials on the
head car of his train. Wasn't CIL still being used at this time?

I could post these every day this month,,,, but I probably won't.

Chet French
Dixon, IL

Train travel Train travel uk Train travel in usa Train travel vacation Freight car Canada train travel

http://mail.yahoo.com