From: Brian Paul Ehni <behni@comcast.net>
To: STMFC List <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Athearn's New HO Three-Bay Covered Hoppers
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 12:02:49 -0500

It would never be fully loaded with cement. Back in the day, hopper cars
used to have painted lines indicating the level of various commodities.

Cement, being more dense, would not literally fill the cubic space of the
car. Other commodities certainly could (and did).
--

Brian Ehni

From: Bob Chaparro <thecitrusbelt@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 16:52:52 -0000
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>

Just a few months ago Athearn released an HO-scale PS2 three-bay
covered hopper (Stock # 2893). The prototype for the model was the
covered hopper Pullman-Standard began producing beginning in the 1950s.

One of the statements on the Athearn website says that these hoppers
were "Designed to carry bulk commodities, such as grain, cement and
plastic."

It seems to me that this car, fully loaded, would have been incapable
of handling the weight of such a dense commodity as cement.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you.

Bob Chaparro
Mission Viejo, Ca