Re: The steam era, 1960

Keith Jordan <kjordan@...>

The talk about 1960 got me to thinking what had changed in the ten years
from 1950 to 1960, so I looked up some statistics on one of my favorite
subjects, SFRD reefers:

In 1950, there were

2955 wood sheathed steel framed steel underframe cars
10607 all steel swing door cars
563 all steel sliding door cars
445 fifty foot ice bunker cars
1 mechanical car

In 1960, there were

0 wood sheathed steel frame steel underframe cars
2101 all steel swing door cars
10172 all steel sliding door cars
390 fifty foot ice bunker cars
323 mechanical cars

Look at 1970 before we go, however:

1365 all steel swing door cars
3718 all steel sliding door cars
40 fifty foot ice bunker cars
3614 mechanical cars

You could argue there was little change in the 1950s with these cars, but a
big change in the 1960s. At any rate, I found it interesting and it does
tend to support 1960 as a watershed freight car decade.

Keith Jordan

From: sswain@TOTAL.NET
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:09:49 -0600
To: STMFC@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [STMFC] The steam era, 1960

FWIW, both the CPR and CNR's steam operations essentially ended after April
1960. Any steam use after that by the dominant two railways in this
country could be described as being excursion related (there may have been
a handful CPR trips in the summer of 1960).

Dave Nelson writes:

- I understand opinions vary on when the steam era ended. I think <=1956
is
generous.
It is commonly regarded by the more formal historian and professional museum
community that the end of the steam era was 1960. The late 1950s still saw
some Class 1 steam, while the 1960s saw steam only on a few short lines and
in Canada. Rolling stock, too, made a big leap in the 1960s, as Richard
pointed out.

....Mike
Stafford Swain
26 Kenneth Street