From: "Gatwood, Elden J SAD " <Elden.J.Gatwood@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 2:11 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Numbers/percentages of important box car types

Hi folks;

I did a little addition over the weekend, to see if I could figure out the
actual numbers and percentages of certain box car types we all find
interesting. I used many of the sources you all have developed. I thought
you might find the results of interest. I would imagine many of us might
have over-, or under-representation of one or more of these car types on our
layouts.

ARA '32 - 14,180

AAR '37 - 89,578

Modified AAR '37 (5/5 Dread Ends) - 43,565

AAR '44 10'4"-10'6" (w/4/4 IDEs) - 73,397

PS-1 40' - 75,070

PS-1 50' - 20,332

For my time period, this works out to approx. 2.3, 14.8, 7.2, 12.1, 12.4,
and
3.4% of the entire fleet of U.S. boxcars in service (approx. 607,000 in my
timeframe), or approx. 52% of the total (retirements of these types were <1%
by my timeframe).

What other important box car types, both numerically and in terms of other
significance, are missing from this list?

I am looking forward to a healthy debate!

Regards,

Elden Gatwood

Yahoo! Groups Links