Posted by: "Tim Gilbert" tgilbert@... timgilbert17851
Date: Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:53 pm (PDT)

Peter,

The Title of this thread includes the words "BOX CAR!" With the
exception of the grain case, the car types of your examples do not
include boxcars. Boxcar distribution had considerably less variables
than hoppers, gons, stock cars, etc.. Stick to the subject!

If you go to Ian Wilson's web site, he has a whole bunch of US Boxcars
on a spreadsheet - the distribution of ownership among those US Boxcars
is roughly proportional to the percentage the car owner owned of the US
National Fleet.

I know of no way to distinguish the percent of CN boxcars versus the CP
percentage in either Canada or in the US although I believe the
Dominion's Bureau of Statistics does differentiate between the US and
Canadian Foreign Cars on Line although I don't believe there is any
split of how many Canadian foreign boxcars on line and how many US
Boxcars were on a Canadian Line.

Yes, I agree with you that "a representative traffic mix is the result
of good research not taking average numbers from car fleets" providing
that the information is available which frequently it is not. Boxcars,
however, require less "good research" than other car types because of
that type's operating characteristics.

Tim Gilbert