Re: Numbers/percentages of important box car types

ed_mines

--- In STMFC@..., Tim Gilbert <tgilbert@...> wrote:

Below in roughly five year increments are US Class I Boxcars owned
as
per the material of their underframe and sheathing. Cars listed in
the
Steel Underframe column could be single or double sheathed (wood)
while
most of those in the "Other" column had Wood or Composite (Steel
Center
Sills) Underframes (most had truss rods), but could be assumed had
wood
single or double sheathing. All-Steel means a SUF with Steel
Sheathing.

Total Steel SUF Other
Year 000's % Tot 000's % 000's %
000's %
1921 1,038 100.0% 29 3.2% 533 51.4% 471
45.4%
1925 1,078 100.0% 68 6.3% 664 61.6% 345
32.0%
1930 1,060 100.0% 125 11.8% 735 69.4% 200
18.8%
1935 809 100.0% 146 18.0% 584 72.2% 79
9.8%
1940 705 100.0% 268 37.9% 394 55.8% 44
6.2%
1945 742 100.0% 386 52.1% 329 44.5% 26
3.5%
1950 715 100.0% 507 70.8% 203 28.5% 5
0.7%
1954 720 100.0% 589 81.8% 129 18.0% 1
0.2%

I'm interested in 1946 (when locomotives were steam) - the %s I use
are typical steel box car (4/5 & 5/5 Drednaught ends with
rectangular panel roof) - 20%, single sheathed - 25%, double
sheathed 15% all other steel (including X29 sized cars, round roof
cars, rebuilds.....) - 40%. Truss rod box cars (included as SS and
DS) - 3%. I'm in pretty close agreement with Tim's data presented
above.

What about Pratt trussed box cars? Does 1 in 9 single sheathed cars
sound right?

How about double door box cars? 1 in 9 of all box cars sound right?

50 ft. cars? I'm not sure at all but in 1946 this would be a very
small number, maybe 2 or 3%.

What do you guys think?

Ed