Re: Numbers/percentages of important box car types

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

ed_mines wrote:
How about double door box cars? 1 in 9 of all box cars sound right?

50 ft. cars? I'm not sure at all but in 1946 this would be a very
small number, maybe 2 or 3%.
For a number of years around the time you specify, Ed, the national percentage of auto cars was about 8%. Auto cars were then defined as having double doors and some other characteristics, and were definitely dominated by 50-foot cars by 1946. I don't have an ORER in front of me, but of that 8% I might guess 6% 50-ft., balance 40-ft., and many of both types would be single-sheathed.

Publishers of books on railroad history