Re: Mystery Car

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Richard identifies the N.A.D.X 6000 series-

The prototype cars had
outside wood roofs (definitely NOT radial), ice bunkers with wood hatch
covers, and fishbelly steel center sills. Air brakes were KC and would
not have been converted to AB before the 1938 deadline that outlawed
leased reefers with billboard paint and lettering. In short, the model
strays rather far from being an accurate replica of the prototype.
Yes. As I have commented to Richard off list (and before receiving this Digest), I suspect that in this very early kit, the original sides, probably representing a boxcar, were set aside for the reefer sides now in place. Not the first time this occurred in an era where model car bodies were often one-size-fits-all, individuality provided by the modeler's choice of a selection of different car sides.

Denny

--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento