Re: Why Sunshine's SFRDs?

Rob Adams

Bruce;

I don't mean this flippantly, nor do I intend any disrespect, but I'd suggest that you read the article again. The answers are in the article. The rebuilds were done over a period of time and have many subtle, and some not so subtle differences. In a nutshell, the Intermountain cars represent the early group or rebuilds. For example, look at ends, circulating fans, and the width of the solid strip at the top of the sides. The later rebuilds have significant differences from the early cars.

Kind regards, Rob Adams

Bruce Brantner wrote:

I had an opportunity to look at the Sunshine reefer
kits in Amarillo. I also read Ted Culotta's article
on the SFRDs in RMC. If I bought one of Sunshine's
cars and followed Ted's article for building it, it
would cost close to $50.00. I can buy two of the
Intermountain cars for that amount. Also there would
not be as much time involved in getting the car
finished.

So my question is, what would be the advantage in
getting the Sunshine SFRD? Is it a model of a car
that Intermountain does not cover? Does the Sunshine
car fill a gap?

Bruce R. Brantner, Sr.
Coyote Trails RR
Coyote Div. of SF RR
<http://mail.yahoo.com>

Rob Adams
Wellman, IA
steamera@netins.net
Modeling CB&Q, CRI&P and Wabash operations in Keokuk, IA,
the Wabash Bluffs, IL to Keokuk branch, and the CB&Q's Keokuk & Western branch, circa 1938
<http://www.KeokukandWesternRR.com>