Re: AT&SF reefers

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 11, 2006, at 6:12 PM, Fred Mullins wrote:

Would Santa Fe wood/steel reefers made it to the east coast? Mainly
tidewater area of VA.? I'm trying to figure out if I can use some red
caboose kits I saw. Would like to know if I could use them on my A&D
railway. I know we had some meat packing plants(pigs) in my area but
can't find any photos to support it?
Tim Gilbert has already responded regarding the likelihood of meat reefer traffic on the A&D. I will add that (1) the Santa Fe owned only a handful of reefers equipped to carry meat and they were in dedicated on-line service and (2) Red Caboose makes no HO scale reefers that are even close to correct models of SFRD cars, never mind how they may be painted and lettered. SFRD wood reefers are accurately modeled only by Westerfield and Sunshine, SFRD steel reefers are accurately modeled only by Intermountain and Sunshine. Other mfrs. offer reefers with SFRD paint/lettering, but the models themselves are bogus.

Richard Hendrickson