Re: WWII troop trains/North Platt canteen

Tony Thompson

On Aug 22, 2006, at 11:23 PM, r_versailles wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge, troop trains were handled (by the RR's)
> as freight trains, and usually as a lower priority train.
On Aug 23, 2006, at 10:56 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:
Not exactly. MAIN trains were considered as passenger movements by
many (most?) railroads, and had varying degrees of priority assigned.
I think Bruce is right. Certainly employees from the war era on the SP talk about how MUCH priority the MAIN trains got, definitely nothing like freight trains. I have looked through the few photos I have of SP MAIN trains and have not found any cabooses on them.

Publishers of books on railroad history