Re: K Brake rebuilding to AB brakes on tank cars after 1954 bans

Richard Hendrickson

On Aug 22, 2006, at 9:23 PM, Matthew Sugerman wrote:

Would this type of "retro-fit" apply to other types of
cars also??? I have Tichy flat I need to convert to
an AB brake...
Essentially, yes, and it was usually easier to retro-fit AB brakes on flat and house cars than on tank cars because there were substantial underframe cross-ties and side sills to which mountings for the AB reservoir and valve could be attached. There was a lot of variation in where those components were located, however, so it's best to have photos if you can find them.

Richard Hendrickson