Main Trains

Mike Brock <brockm@...>

Troop or Main trains can, of course, take on either a passenger, freight or mixed consist. Kalmbach's Union Pacific Across Sherman Hill shows a troop train obviously filled only with troops. The train appears to include quite a few Pullmans and at least one diner. No caboose or frt car is in sight. OTOH, I have a commercial video of a troop train carrying a rather large number of vehicles on flat cars. This was probably a mixed train. Any trains containing frt cars are within the scope of the STMFC.

My first experience with a troop train...no idea what type of cars were involved...occurred in 1943. While what follows is a personal account, there is some value, I think, regarding train priority. I was meeting my father who was returning to eastern Oklahoma after spending several months in the city that didn't exist...Oak Ridge, Tennessee. I know it didn't exist because when my mother attempted to send my father a package, the post office in Oklahoma said no such place existed and refused the package. Anyhow, we were waiting for my father's train probably at Fort Gibson and the Mopac. This was during the night and I vividly recall seeing a headlight approaching in the distance. We were told a troop train was coming through and we should move back away from the tracks. Well, I don't know if the troops on board were really needed somewhere in the near future but the engineer apparently thought so because the steam powered train roared through the station without slowing. This made a significant imprint on my psychy. Shortly thereafter, the passenger train my father was riding in came in traveling in the same direction...pulled BTW by diesels. The point to be made is that the troop train either had prority or was deemed capable of running fast enough to stay ahead of the passenger train.

Soon after all this I traveled to and spent 19 yrs living in a city that didn't exist.

Mike Brock