From: deanpayne@...
To: STMFC@...
Sent: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 10:26 PM
Subject: [STMFC] Ridin' the rods?

I had a friend, who used to sing on the folk circuit back in the 60's,
who asked me about "ridin' the rods". His understanding was that a
hobo would put a board (?) across the truss rods and ride on the
board! Now, that would have been rough, but I assume this is from the
depression, during desparate times. Was that done to stay out of sight
of the brakemen, or what?
Can anyone correct or corroborate? Any stories? (off-list for the
stories, of course!)
I hope this doesn't degenerate into a "discussion" of hobos and other
off-topic stuff. But, you see, as I model the Great Depression, having
a hobo on or in a car would be totally appropriate. Perhaps not so for
those of you unlucky enough to model a later era. (vbg!)
Inside a boxcar is a better place for a hobo to ride, but I'd like to
try some variation. I know a hobo doesn't count as "freight", but I
think it's an appropriate addition to a freight car of that era.

Dean Payne