Re: DF ????????

Tony Thompson

Dave Powell wrote:
I would like to know when railroads started putting DF on the side of boxcars. I think it was for Evans Damage Free apparatus inside the car? Any and all help would be highly appreciated.
Dave, this product was invented about 1947 but I don't know when any particular railroad started using the "DF" emblem, and would guess that it varied from road to road. Possibly it was a request or requirement from Evans at some point. Personally, I associate the WIDESPREAD use of that emblem with the late 1950s.

Publishers of books on railroad history