Re: Composite hopper slope sheet material?

Tony Thompson

Dean Payne wrote:
It matters more how I weather the inside of the slope sheet, rusty metal or raw wood, either with a good dusting of coal dust!
Dean, the interiors of steel hoppers in regular use DO NOT show rusty or even coal-dusted slope sheets: they tend to be fairly polished bare metal, except at the top and around the edges. I've looked into many such cars in B&O trains in Panther Hollow, Pittsburgh, where one sees the entire interior easily. These were everything from steam-era twins and triples, through 1980s 90-ton cars, various owning railroads. The reason, I assume, is obvious.

Publishers of books on railroad history