Re: Composite hopper slope sheet material?

Jeff Coleman

Tony
That is interesting as I worked on hundreds of N&W hoppers in the 70's
& 80's and all of the interiors had a rust bloom and some coal dust.
Jeff Coleman

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Tony Thompson <thompsonmarytony@...> wrote:

Dean Payne wrote:
It matters more how I weather the inside of the slope sheet, rusty
metal or raw wood, either with a good dusting of coal dust!
Dean, the interiors of steel hoppers in regular use DO NOT show
rusty or even coal-dusted slope sheets: they tend to be fairly polished
bare metal, except at the top and around the edges. I've looked into
many such cars in B&O trains in Panther Hollow, Pittsburgh, where one
sees the entire interior easily. These were everything from steam-era
twins and triples, through 1980s 90-ton cars, various owning railroads.
The reason, I assume, is obvious.

Publishers of books on railroad history