Re: Coupler/Bolster 'Standards'/RPs and the NMRA

Doug Brown <g.brown1@...>

We all have to look at this objectively. A standards body is useful mostly
for fine tuning details. Typically several vendors introduce something new
with differing designs. In some cases the customer decides the standard with
their checkbook. VHS comes to mind. I other cases vendor experts meet as a
standard committee to determine the outcome. Most standards are the result
of fine tuning a vendor's de facto standard. Standards only work when the
vendors see more gain from working together than from fighting each other;
or when a powerful interest (government, a major customer, etc.) forces it
upon them.

In the early years of the NMRA none of the model vendors were large. NMRA
standards were welcomed because they made each vendor's products more
valuable when they worked together. While they were not perfect for today,
they enabled vendors to succeed better.

The X2f committee could not come up with the perfect solution. The vendors
adopted as a de facto standard because it met their need of something that
would work interoperable with other products. It did not meet many modelers'
needs. But how many modelers did not buy a model because it did have X2f
couplers? Far fewer than those who bought them because they did!

P87 and P48 are effective because they are not trying to make everyone do
things their way. Standards that benefit only a subset of consumers are
fine, but they must be applicable only those who benefit from them.

Doug Brown

From: STMFC@yahoogroups. <mailto:STMFC%40yahoogroups.com> com