KCS 50' DD steel boxcar paint help

oliver

I'm modelling KCS 20899 50' DD steel boxcar with the P2K kit and
Oddballs decals and was wondering if someone could help with the
correct paint practice for these cars. I've got the builders photo
which seems to show black trucks (and possibly black underframe)and
freight car red type body. I'm stumped with the roof which may have a
black wood roofwalk(or is that just shadow). The roof color is a
mystery to me. Could somone help with a photo or advice on correct
painting?

BTW were these cars equipped with end doors (I hope not or I'll be
starting over;-)

thanks
Stefan