Re: RPM meets

cj riley <cjriley42@...>

I know I could be opening up a can of worms, but I can safely say I enter
models in NMRA contests strictly for the sharing, and I know others do as well.
I do use the possibility of being selected as "high quality" (I hate to use the
term winning) to push myself to better quality and new techniques. Otherwise, I
build to operate on a representation of the real world.

As I have said for years, the NMRA contests and AP are for expanding knowledge
and improving technique, just like RPM. Winning is just an irrelevant bonus.

CJ Riley

--- Charlie Vlk <cvlk@...> wrote:

Tony-
I agree with your observations except that I must not have been to many NMRA
regionals.
I may have not been to "many" but have been to enough to know what is going
on there and in the broader hobby.
Most Model Railroaders don't belong to the NMRA or participate in any PM
activity and have different slants on their
enjoyment of the Hobby.
NMRA activities (other than the Prototype Modeler SIG and Operations SIG
rooms at Nationals) don't relate to the
quality level of Naperville.
Even when the NMRA Contest Models are excellent, PM models are built from the
owner's interest and passion and
are shown for other modelers to appreciate; not to survive some complicated
scoring system and get a ribbon or a punch
on a ticket to a certificate. I prefer the spirit of sharing present at PM
events rather than the political intrique and
competition of judged contests.
I understand that Cocoa Beach has some NMRA local affiliation, but it is
mainly a PM event and is still very worthwhile.
Charlie